About the role
Our client is looking for a Commercial New Business Underwriter to join its Leeds Commercial branch. This role will focus on the SME new business submissions to ensure we deliver on the SME new business plan.
Our client handles an incredibly diverse range of commercial insurance risks, ranging from small local traders right through to the larger corporate, blue chip businesses. They have a strong and very experienced team of underwriters (both internal and in the field), sales executives and risk managers who are readily available and easy to access by our customers. As a Commercial Underwriter you will be helping your team to deliver trading results through effective underwriting, trading and building dynamic underwriting relationships with brokers. This may be new business, existing business or a mixture of the two.
Our Branch network manages all day to day trading, underwriting and service activity, including new business and renewal trading and processing, handling customer enquiries, high quality underwriting for profit and providing a consistent top quality service to all of our customer distribution channels.
Who will this appeal to?
You may already be in be in a similar position, looking for a more successful and ambitious company to help support your longer term career aspirations. We will help you build on your strengths and provide tailored mentoring and soft and technical training to help you to maximise your potential going forward. You may be working for a Broker – looking to move into a more technical underwriting role – where you can use your understanding of our customers’ needs to provide a great service.
What will I be doing?
- Delivering planned financial results through the effective underwriting of cases and securing new business.
- Demonstrating your contribution to loss ratio control by effectively adhering to branch Underwriting controls.
- Building effective trading relationships with Brokers through trading activity to be recognised as a positive trading partner, contributing to achievement of results. This will include broker face to face interactions
- Identifying poorly performing accounts and investigating reasons for lack of secured new business.
- Discussing actions with Senior Underwriters, Team Trading Managers & Account Managers and implementing actions to increase success.
- Contributing to the improvement of profitability by implementing actions agreed with brokers to improve account performance.
- Contributing to the development of colleagues by coaching and acting as a reference point to assist in decision making within empowerment.
- Producing timely and accurate documentation.
Qualifications & Experience required
- You will have experience in general commercial underwriting new business.
- You should preferably have worked in a sales environment and be able to demonstrate trading skills.
- You will be motivated by stretching targets and can evidence good performance against these.
- You will deliver for our customers and be able to evidence that strong working relationships have been formed with existing customers.
- You will be proactive and out-going, confident in dealing with our customers, maximising new business through the delivery of exceptional customer service.
- You will be working towards, or be willing to undertake CII qualifications.